Moffitt Cancer Center (Moffitt) is a 206-bed hospital located in Tampa, Florida that is part of an elite group of National Cancer Institute Comprehensive Cancer Centers in the United States. Moffitt services includes private patient rooms, the Southeast’s largest Blood and Marrow Transplant Program, outpatient treatment programs that record more than 339,000 visits a year, the Moffitt Research Center, Moffitt Cancer Center at International Plaza, and Moffitt Cancer Center Screening and Prevention.
“JTS Health Partners has provided us with high quality service and outcomes related to our Cerner Soarian Financials implementation and optimization efforts. JTS has been a consistent and dedicated partner/group of revenue cycle and health information management professionals through our journey so that we can maximize our technology investment.”
Ms. Joanna C. Weiss
Vice President of Revenue Cycle
Based upon Moffitt’s operational volumes and comprehensive patient services, the organization decided to update its revenue cycle management system from Keane Revenue Cycle Management to Cerner's Soarian Financials Revenue Cycle Management in order to accommodate growth as well as address the “sun-setting” of Keane. Complicating factors included integrating the Cerner Scheduling Management system with Soarian Financials Revenue Cycle Management, as well as addressing the organization’s denial management challenges, authorization volumes, and accounts receivables management.
The Collaborative Approach
JTS Health Partners (JTS) provided operational/system support and process improvement for Moffitt’s Patient Financial Services division. JTS also spearheaded other quality initiatives as it related to optimizing the performance of Cerner Soarian Financials Revenue Cycle Management. Example activities included denial and accounts receivables management projects, patient billing and collections support, process redesign, staffing allocations, along with process and staff training.
Other objectives included:
- JTS assisted Moffitt through process improvement initiatives that drove business process redesign to meet the financial goals of the organization (i.e., align with next generation financial technology in order to address authorization and denial management issues, and workflow optimization)
- JTS provided the Patient Financial Services division operational support and staffing augmentation to achieve critical business objectives
JTS’s successful results:
- Aligned subject matter expertise with process redesign efforts, resulting in relevant and effective process maps, policies and procedures, and operational dashboards;
- Provided senior healthcare talent to assist with operational initiatives as well as staff augmentation for the Patient Financial Services team; and
- Provided engagement management leadership with ongoing advisory services. The JTS team provided operational expertise and support. The work effort concentrated on multiple accounts receivables management initiatives.
The following represent a portion of the major initiatives:
- Discharged not final billed (DNFB): ~$25,000,000
- Other patient account initiatives (per account):
- Billing error worklist support: 10,000+
- Charge error worklist resolution: 15,000+
- Multi-payer resolution: 10,000+
- Remittance discrepancy: 15,000+
The JTS team provided support to the Patient Financial Services billing, collections, and denial teams. In addition, JTS implemented and monitored their unique Claims Quality Management (CQM) program that was collectively attributable towards improving selected payor trends.
The aggregate work effort represented the following contributions :
- Total monetary impact: ~$97,000,000
- Patient encounters/accounts resolution: 40,000+
Both operational figures referenced above represent a 10 (ten) month time frame